Website powered by

Personal Keyblade Concept Design WIP

Where did this all begin? Back in 2014, we were assigned to do a Graphic Design, Gig Poster for any game, tv series, or movie we wanted to promote. Of course, I wanted to go back to my inspirational roots which was and still very much is Kingdom Hearts. At the time I wanted to create my own keyblade design.

Fast-forwarding a couple of years, I felt it was time to revisit this project but add more to it and further define this keyblade design in 3D space. The final goal is to model, texture, light, and use physic simulations, to create a short video that, in theory, should feel as though it belongs to the game.

This is a play-by-play on how this project came to life, while working 9 hours/day at my regular job, 2-3 hrs of freelancing/day, and maybe 15-20 minutes of 3D time in. If I was lucky sometimes I could squeeze in 40 minutes.

Current Asset Overview

Current Asset Overview

Three-quarter view of the guard

Three-quarter view of the guard

Close-Up Ribbon

Close-Up Ribbon

Ribbon Glamour shot

Ribbon Glamour shot

Lock Close Up

Lock Close Up

This project started with a traditional sketch for a graphic design: gig poster for school back in 2014. There were a total of 3 concepts that were drawn, but this was the final concept. The guard I kept as a heart shape to tie in with the logo of KH.

This project started with a traditional sketch for a graphic design: gig poster for school back in 2014. There were a total of 3 concepts that were drawn, but this was the final concept. The guard I kept as a heart shape to tie in with the logo of KH.

Once my concept was fleshed out I coloured the poster in Illustrator.  As I played around with the colours of the keyblade I also envisioned this particular keyblade floating slightly above the water with the tip causing a ripple effect.

Once my concept was fleshed out I coloured the poster in Illustrator. As I played around with the colours of the keyblade I also envisioned this particular keyblade floating slightly above the water with the tip causing a ripple effect.

Guard View The far left side was the original block model. The version in the middle was the second concept that I absolutely loved the shape. But it did not fit with the second portion of the guard. The final version complimented shape and the 2nd

Guard View The far left side was the original block model. The version in the middle was the second concept that I absolutely loved the shape. But it did not fit with the second portion of the guard. The final version complimented shape and the 2nd

Side view of the guard: Far left was the original concept, the middle was the 2nd concept, and the final version. The only adjustments needed on the far right guard is to make it less chunky and thin out the one-piece before it separates into 2 pieces.

Side view of the guard: Far left was the original concept, the middle was the 2nd concept, and the final version. The only adjustments needed on the far right guard is to make it less chunky and thin out the one-piece before it separates into 2 pieces.

My final touch-up on the guard was to add a little curve to the bottom portion of the guard. I felt as though without the curve the guard felt as though it had no consistency to it.

My final touch-up on the guard was to add a little curve to the bottom portion of the guard. I felt as though without the curve the guard felt as though it had no consistency to it.

I noticed a few flaws within the original guard geometry and fixed them.

I noticed a few flaws within the original guard geometry and fixed them.

The guard was then redefined at the tips.

The guard was then redefined at the tips.

In the original concept, you could not see the lock. I went back and designed a new lock concept that would fit between the third and fourth games.

In the original concept, you could not see the lock. I went back and designed a new lock concept that would fit between the third and fourth games.

Kept the integrity of the overall cartoonish feel by finalizing the lock on the left.

Kept the integrity of the overall cartoonish feel by finalizing the lock on the left.

From here I tried a few different styles of plates.

From here I tried a few different styles of plates.

The lock was taking shape and It was time to add the embossing. The top row was the before and the bottom row is the after.

The lock was taking shape and It was time to add the embossing. The top row was the before and the bottom row is the after.

The keyhole is a crucial piece of the game. I tried a few different looks, but keeping it consistent was key.

The keyhole is a crucial piece of the game. I tried a few different looks, but keeping it consistent was key.

Final Model

Final Model

The original blade concept felt heavy & out of place with the intricate guard. Went back and redesigned the new blade to incorporate a small easter egg. Koodo's to anyone who spots it.

The original blade concept felt heavy & out of place with the intricate guard. Went back and redesigned the new blade to incorporate a small easter egg. Koodo's to anyone who spots it.

Geometry wise it made no sense how a ribbon goes through an object. Version 2 cleaned up the close significantly.

Geometry wise it made no sense how a ribbon goes through an object. Version 2 cleaned up the close significantly.